Proof of Concept


Continuing with the wood framed prototype, a few things remained to be added before it could work. The motor needed some way to get fuel, and ignition. Short work later with another 2×4, I had a quick mount for a gas tank, and then it was time for some tedious wiring work. Fortunately, the wiring harness was pretty minimal, and soon I had an ignition switch wired into the coil and the starter. I took some scrap rods and rod ends, and mounted them to the transaxles to activate them.

Wood frame prototype
Wood frame prototype
Wood frame prototype
Wood frame prototype
Wood frame prototype
Tracks

It works, but now it was time to add a few more pieces and test some more. I added a 2×6 seat, and some better control sticks, and made a few adjustments to the belt drive from motor to transaxles.

Proof of concept for Miller Snow Dozer
Proof of concept for Miller Snow Dozer
Proof of concept for Miller Snow Doze
Proof of concept for Miller Snow Dozer
Proof of concept for Miller Snow Dozer
Proof of concept for Miller Snow Dozer
Proof of concept for Miller Snow Dozer
Proof of concept for Miller Snow Dozer

Now time for another round of testing:

Proof of concept for Miller Snow Dozer
Prototype Testing
Prototype Testing
Prototype Testing
Prototype Testing
Prototype Testing

As you can see, the suspension of the tracks is being compressed, so that will need to be tweaked. I added a solid link to stiffen up the back portion of the linkage.

With that complete, this stage of the prototype was deemed a success, and it was time to move forward. The proof of concept of the motor, transaxles and snowmobile tracks worked well, it was able to spin a donut on dry concrete, and while it seemed to move a bit slow, it seemed promising. At this point, I decided to move forward with the steel frame, and replace all of the wood components.

Next>> Part 6: Start of the steel frame, no more 2×4’s!

Share