I was getting closer to completion, and now it was time to address some of the smaller items.
First I focused on the pedal controls, and made a heel/toe pedal for each side, and connected them via a short linkage to the hydraulic valve body.
I knew I wanted some sheetmetal to cover the central belt that was going to be a safety hazard, and also make an engine shroud to direct some warm engine heat back to me. I already had a 36” wide foot shear from a previous auction, so cutting the pieces to size wasn’t going to be a problem, but I had no way of bending them. This seemed like a good reason to justify buying a small 36” sheetmetal folding table at Harbor Freight. It was on sale for $200, and for that price, it’s a steal! Part of the reason these benders are cheap is that there are no removable fingers to do varying sizes of boxes and pans. That being said, if the parts are designed correctly, you can get around the limitations of the tool and still accomplish your intent. I do a lot sheetmetal design work in my day job, so this task was going to be pretty easy.
I started with the central tunnel to protect the belts and myself:
Then I started on the engine shroud, and made a mounting plate:
Then it was on to making a pattern, cutting it out, bending it up, and riveting it together:
Next I needed to make an instrument panel to hold the starter switch, ammeter, light switches, throttle and choke:
Now it was time to wire it up:
I also bought some heavy duty springs (they’re for a porch swing bench) and got those attached onto the blade:
During the wiring process I also added 2 front headlights, and a rear headlight for blading at night or early morning. These were also purchased from Northern Tool.
At this point, major fabrication was done, testing was complete, now it was time to tear it all down, finish all of the welds and prepare for paint!!!!