Belt Tensioner and Preliminary Blade Testing


On the last test run, I noticed that the motor belt needed a tensioner as I was losing power through that belt. That item went on the shopping list, and soon I had a belt tensioner pulley, it just needed a mount designed and fabricated. Here’s the result:

Belt tensioner

Belt tensioner

Belt tensioner

Now it was time to get down to the real task at hand, and get the blade mounted and do some testing. Previously, I had mocked up the blade placement, taken a bunch of measurements and then went to the computer for some CAD modeling. I wanted a combination of lift and tilt up to the blade as it lifted up, so I went with a 4-bar linkage system, similar to a 3-point attachment on tractors. I had also purchased a rod-end link at a farm store.

Lower arm for blade pusher

Lower arm for blade pusher Lower arm for blade pusher Snow dozer test blade Snow dozer test blade Snow dozer test blade Snow dozer test blade

Yes, I know, it’s not wide enough. The initial plan was to widen the current blade, but more on that later, now it’s time for some testing. The hydraulic system is not hooked up yet, so the hydraulic cylinders are being compressed with a ratchet strap to raise the blade.

First some light duty grading, since the hydraulics aren’t hooked up, I can’t apply any down pressure.

Now to try it in a bit of dirt:

That seemed to work alright, now to start making it into a REAL blade, which will be in the next part.

Here’s a bit of fun, you can hear me revving the engine, I love the way that thing sounds!

 Next>> Part 11: Prep Work for the Hydraulic System

Share