Payloader Updates: Nov 2013 & Jan 2014


Payloader updates Nov 2013

Back in July 2013, I went to startup the Michigan 55A that has the backhoe on it to bring it around to the front of the shop and park inside in preparation for when I’d be back in the shop next.  It popped right off, ran for a very short time and quit.  After that, it wouldn’t start at all.  I did some troubleshooting, and it wasn’t getting gas from the fuel pump.  I tried connecting a jumper hose directly to the carburetor, but it still wouldn’t start.  If I dowsed some gas directly into the carb opening, it would fire and sometimes run, but obviously not for long.  Short on time, I couldn’t dig into any of this in more detail.

Here’s what the fuel pump and carburetor combo looks like:

IMG_5723

Fast forward to November 2013, and I’m back at the shop for a few days.  I removed the carburetor and fuel pump assemblies, and started disassembly of both.  The fuel pump was first, and it was pretty gummied up, and the diaphragm looked pretty bad.  No visible holes, but pretty rotted.  Next was the carburetor, it looked pretty decent, except that the needle and seat were stuck together, which would have prevented fuel from entering the float bowl.  So it was a relief to find that root cause.  I did my due diligence and checked all of the jets, and they all looked fine, so I re-assembled the carburetor.  I wanted to test if it worked, so I also reassembled the fuel pump, knowing it wasn’t a permanent fix.

Here’s some more pics of the parts and the disassembly:

IMG_5724 IMG_5725 IMG_5726 IMG_5727 IMG_5728 IMG_5729 IMG_5730

After bolting everything back on the payloader, I put a battery in it, and it fired right up!  So the carburetor was fine!  After running for a few mins, I shut it back down to check everything, and sure enough, fuel was leaking past the fuel pump diaphragm.  This is bad, as it can leak into the crankcase and dilute the oil, which will lead to a blown engine!  I removed the fuel pump again, and grabbed the part numbers off of it to see if I could source a new one or a rebuild kit.

First step, call NAPA…. Well, they had nothing, they don’t carry any industrial application parts.  Next step, try the other parts place nearby, no luck there either.

Ok, so this wasn’t going to be easy…..

Next step, look on the Continental engine website, no easy source of parts listed, guess I was going to have to call them.  I finally got connected to a parts guy, and after giving him both of the part numbers listed on the fuel pump, he did some looking.  Still wasn’t enough information, so I had to go out and get some engine casting numbers from the block and head.  Well, after calling him back, he determined that it wasn’t listed in his resources, and he was going to have to call his fuel pump vendor, but they were already closed and it would have to wait until next week.

I went back outside to move the 75A payloader, and I could hear a clicking sound, and it would not fire up.  Hmmm, I thought maybe it was low on gas, so I put in some gas from a can.  Still wouldn’t fire up.  Then I started inspecting the fuel routing, and noticed that it had an electric fuel pump.  I checked all the hoses, and the one hose that connects the hard line from the tank to the electric fuel pump was suspiciously squishy, and just didn’t feel right.  I decided to replace that hose, and that appeared to be the problem, it was collapsing under the vacuum of the fuel pump, and blocking the fuel flow.  After a few minutes of work, I had a new fuel hose installed, and then it fired right up!  Whew!

The next week, after numerous calls to Continental, I finally got an answer, I could get a new fuel pump that might fit, or might not, and it would be $139 plus shipping, and probably wouldn’t be there by the weekend when I needed it.  The fact that it might not fit was not too appealing.

Fortunately, after fixing on the 75A, I was thinking of the electric fuel pump option, so I did some looking, and Advance Auto Parts carried a low pressure in-line electric fuel pump for $67, this was looking like a much better deal now!

It’s the Airtex E8016S electric fuel pump.

 

5773407_mst_E8016S_pri_detl

 

So I got the electric fuel pump from AAP, and that weekend I temporarily wired it in, mounted it with a vice grips, put 2 in-line filters upstream of it, and my 55A payloader was up and running!  Then I was able to drive it around and get it parked in the shop so I can do some work on hydraulic hoses when I’m back in December.  I also want to get the fuel pump permanently installed, and also make a nice block-off plate for the mechanical fuel pump location.

IMG_5814

If anyone knows where I can source rebuild kit or a replacement pump, I’d be interested.  I’m currently having some conversations with Hal at www.classicpreservation.com for a rebuild kit.

After many emails with Hal, I decided to move forward with having him rebuild this for me.  Total cost of $149 including shipping.  In late December I shipped it off to him, and in mid January I got it back.  Since I was already back in China, my mom received it and sent these pictures.  Next time I’m back in the shop I’ll see about installing it back on the 55A.

IMGP4988 IMGP4989

I’ll be glad to go back to original, and eliminate that electric fuel pump.  Glad I only temporarily wired it in!

Next up is some hydraulic hose replacement on the backhoe attachment, finish the electric fuel pump installation, and do some troubleshooting on the alternator wiring, so that will be upcoming content.

IMG_5825

Spec info on the fuel pump and carburetor:

Fuel Pump:

“9695” stamped into casting

“855228” is casted in

“A” “C” is casted below it

Carburetor:

Zenith brand

Not sure on the other specs, no numbers were visible.  It might be a “62”

 

Share